Deadline – Not Specified
NRC is looking for a WaSH Technical Assistant (Water Supply) for our field office in Yola, Adamawa State in North-East Nigeria. The purpose of the WaSH Technical Assistant (Water Supply) is to ensure the Implementation and impact of WaSH program activities in Yola, Adamawa State
The WaSH Technical Assistant reports to the WaSH Team Lead
Duties and responsibilities
- To assist WASH Team Leader in the coordination of the WASH Technical activities according to strategy, proposals, budgets, and plans
- To assist WASH Team Leader in the coordination of the WASH
- Technical activities according to strategy, proposals, budgets, and plans
- To assist the WASH Team Leader in all aspects of WASH Technical programs planning, implementation, monitoring, and evaluation
- To assist in the identification of community water and sanitation needs
- To develop technical specifications and bills of quantities (BOQ) for works
- To assess the water and sanitation training needs of the community and assists in the development of appropriate training materials and plans
- Conducts water quality testing and sanitary inspection at water points
- Provides technical assistance to the WASH Team Leader and local counterparts on issues of water and sanitation information and communication strategies
- Assists in the establishment, and training of water point committees as well as monitoring their performance
- Assists in the compilation of weekly and monthly WASH Technical reports, program documents, project proposals, and budgets
Involve and inform communities and community leaders about the activities
- Assist WASH Team Lead in Breaking down the annual operational plans into weekly, monthly and quarterly implementation plans 12.
- To assist in ensuring that procurement, development, and distribution of materials and equipment are timely and according to procedures
- BSc or Higher diploma in civil, Water Resources Engineering or Geology(BAC+5) minimum
- Minimum 3 years’ experience from working with WASH TECHNICAL projects in a humanitarian/recovery context. Experience from working with social work and/or with a distribution of humanitarian assistance is an advantage.
- Previous 2-3 years of work experience in community-based water, Sanitation programs; Work experience with an NGO is desirable
- Must have knowledge of emergency Water supply, Hygiene, Sanitation requirements, and protocols
- Familiarity with international minimum standards of Hygiene, Sanitation, and shelter service delivery (i.e., SPHERE) is an advantage
- Must have previous experience in training and Training of Trainers.
- Excellent communication skills – written and spoken – in English required.
- Fluency in one or more of the national/regional languages (Hausa and Fulani preferred)
- Must be willing to work as a team member, take direction, and share technical skills with colleagues and counterparts
- Computer literacy in word processing and spreadsheets is required,
- Familiarity with AutoCAD, GPS, ArcGIS and Google Earth is strongly desirable Must be able to work under pressure
- Handling an insecure environment
- Planning and delivering results
- Empowering and building trust
- Communicating with impact and respect
- Ability to work under pressure, independently and with limited supervision.
- Highest standards of ethics and integrity
- Communicating with impact and respect All employees of the
- Norwegian Refugee Council should be able to adhere to our Codes of
- Conduct and the four organizational values: Dedicated, innovative, inclusive and accountable
WaSH Technical Assistant (Water Supply) – Yola (Nigeria Nationals Only)
We can offer
- Commencement: March 2020
- Duration: 10 months (Renewable)
- Salary/benefits: According to NRC’s general directions.
- Duty station: Yola, with frequent travels. Travel outside Yola is dependent on changing security conditions, especially for certain roads in the area.
- An approved health certificate will be requested before the contract start.
Application procedures and CV registration: Please note that you are required to enter the geographical location for all your previous positions while registering your CV. There is no specific field for this information in our CV form, but you can use the “Company name” field for both company and location.
Click the apply button below to apply
About The Norwegian Refugee Council
NRC initiated country operations in Nigeria in June 2015, in order to respond to the critical and increasing needs in the country. NRC currently has a full team based in Maiduguri and a coordination office in Abuja. NRC is currently providing services across various sectors namely; Shelter and Non-Food Items (NFI); Water, Sanitation and Hygiene Promotion (WASH); Food Security; and Information, Counselling and Legal Assistance (ICLA), Education in order to address identified humanitarian needs.